Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Visual Spatial Learners and the Challenge of Spelling

http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Visual_Learners/

Visual-Spatial Learners and the Challenge of Spelling

By Alexandra Shires Golon
Visual Spatial Resource Center


When I present to parents, I have a Peanuts copy cartoon I use that shows Charlie Brown in bed thinking, "Sometimes I lie awake at night and I ask, 'What is the meaning of life?' Then a voice comes to me that says, 'I before E, except after C!'" My poor son spent a lot of time memorizing this rule. Then he misspelled "species" on his test because he kept spelling it, "speceis." (He did follow the rule, though, right?) Who makes up these crazy spelling rules, anyway? There are so many words that are spelled with rules that are broken or that make no sense-it seems silly to have the rule in the first place!

No comments:

Post a Comment